Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid
What is it?
Unlike other cosmetic acids such as glycolic or salicylic acid, Hyaluronic Acid is not an exfoliant, but rather a moisture boosting and gentle ingredient. Hyaluronic acid is a sugar molecule and a powerful humectant that is naturally present in our skin - in fact it's one of the main building blocks of the dermis. This wonderful hydrator acts as a moisturizer, antioxidant and an amazing anti-aging ingredient. It also fights inflammation and encourages healing.
1. It boosts hydration By absorbing large amounts of water HA prevents dry skin and irritation. It essentially pulls the moisture from the environment and locks it into your skin. Its high capacity for retaining water means it's great for anyone that feels like their skin needs more hydration and moisture. When your skin is hydrated it's firmer, more toned and supple and it overall looks more youthful and fresh.
2. It's anti-inflammatory Short term inflammation is a natural and beneficial response to injury, but long term or chronic inflammation can be very unpleasant and even harmful. It can cause pain, swelling and redness among other things. HA's anti-inflammatory properties can soothe and nurture your skin. HA also promotes regeneration of the skin and speeds up the healing process. It's a great choice for anyone with eczema or rosacea since it can also reduce the redness associated with inflammation.
3. It smooths wrinkles and fine lines Hyaluronic Acid can significantly reduce the depth of wrinkles, it's even used as an injectable dermal filler. But even when used topically it improves your skin's appearance and tightens and plumps it. Depth reduction ranges anywhere from 10% and 20%, and skin-tightness can rise by 13% to 30%. With regular use there are also some positive changes when it comes to skin elasticity.
4. It has antioxidant properties Free radicals can cling onto your skin and deteriorate collagen and elastin. They make your skin more wrinkled and dry by creating oxidative stress. HA's and other antioxidants act as a shield and help you prevent damage from free radicals thus preventing premature aging of your skin.
5. It suits all skin types HA is very gentle on your skin and it suits all skin types, unlike some other cosmetic acids. It's great for dry skin because it locks in the moisture and fights the dryness, and it's also an amazing choice for oily or acne-prone skin, because it keeps it from overproducing natural oils that when combined with debris can clog your pores and cause different types of acne (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, cysts).
6. It's lightweight Its ability to store large amounts of water means it can draw in and retain moisture on its own without adding a plethora of other ingredients. It's a great choice for anyone that doesn't like the feeling of thick, heavy and rich creams or serums on their face. It works the best in fairly humid environments and is a perfect summertime moisturizer because of its lightness.